The holiday weeks between Thanksgiving and the New Year are the worst time of the year for weight gain, and several factors are at play.
Obviously, there are all the December holiday gatherings with their tempting holiday foods, but there is also a change in the weather that can signal our bodies to slow down and hibernate indoors if we are not careful, –causing us to be less active.
So our friends at Spilldabeanz has gathered a few tips, courtesy of Nutrition Expert Eric Paul– to help you stay on track as best you can.
Here are (8) Holiday Eating Survival Tips:
1. Don’t deprive yourself all day and eat one big meal
2. Drink lots of water with your meal, which will keep you full
3. Double up on the non starchy vegetables
4. Limit those decadent high fat and cholesterol favorites
5. Try splitting desserts with someone (i.e. 1/2 slice of pie)
6. Learn to just say no and take focus off food
7. Don’t go back for a second serving
8. Practice, practice, practice portion control
By Eric Paul, BDO Nutrition Expert
Also, check out this Top (6) Ways to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain:
1. Don’t let winter slow you down. Get outside and get some exercise for at least 1/2 hour every day.
2. When you face a tempting holiday meal, eat smaller portions and skip seconds.
3. Save deserts for special occasions like Thanksgiving and Christmas Day and avoid them at regular meals in between.
4. Between meals, snack on nuts, fruits and raw veggies instead of junk.
5. Drink plenty of water and avoid sugary beverages
6. Get plenty of sleep